Friday, October 17, 2008

The web page that started it all

It is a terrifying prospect to come up with a thesis topic. This is something to which you will be DEDICATING YOUR LIFE for the next year. It should not only be interesting to you, but interesting to other people, also a hot topic in academia, a stepping stone in your academic career, something for which there is some research - but not too much - and preferably with lots of juicy primary source material. That's a tall order.

My starting point: something to do with Mexican-Americans in California. And hey, I really like media and communications.

Naturally I started out by blindly googling. I somehow found this tantalizing page featuring this one little photo:



Thus began the research journey that would take me from rainy Portland all the way to California's Central Valley. Here's to the National Park Service!

No comments: