Friday, October 17, 2008

Welcome to my thesis!

When I was doing research for my history thesis, I often found myself cruising the stacks of the library, poking around in dusty corners. As I slaved away for a year on this 70-page research paper, I often found myself struck with terror at the thought of my thesis becoming just another dusty research paper. I would often take something to check-out and the librarian would chuckle, "Wow! This one hasn't been checked out since the 1950s!"

That's a frightening thought. So in fear for the mortality of my poor, little history thesis, I am posting the whole thing here on the internet in the hopes that someone might be interested. I am splitting it into sections and I will post the complete PDF should you prefer it in that format.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Federico said...

Hola Sierra,
Could you please share via email (or better yet post) you full name? I'd like to cite you for a manuscript I'm writing that alludes to the history of SL radio. Your blogs are anonymous and show not contact information other than this space. I look forward to your prompt reply. By the way, please consider adding to your sources the historical overview that my colleagues and I wrote about Latino oriented media some 27 years ago: Subervi-Vélez, Federico A., Charles Ramírez Berg, Patricia Constantakis-Valdéz, Chon Noriega, Diana Ríos, and Kenton Wilkinson. 1994. “Mass Communication and Hispanics.” In Handbook of Hispanic Cultures in the United States: Sociology. Edited by Félix Padilla, 304-356. Houston: Arte Público Press.
Federico Subervi

Unknown said...

Why do you have no information about the Program director Daniel Vallejo Seyde? He was Originally working in Radio KXEB and Radio Variedades in Mexico and was the official presenter for the Sonora Santanera where he met Ben Gutierrez while touring with them. Daniel was the driving force of the station. He was to run the whole station and all of its operation from the late 70's to 1992 when he left to start the monster radio station KLAX with a few others from Fresno. He was the one landed most if not all the accounts and sponsors. Daniel set up the musical format arranged all of the shows and was #1 one in his time slot keeping KGST on top for about 15 years!? I k how this because he is my Father and I was around to see and even participated in most of the events the radio station had. We even narrated the Fresno Bulldogs Soccer games. He did everything for KGST and did not get one mention. Not just you but all the websites that speak of KGST's history has him omitted from it. His shoes included La hora de los novios, Despertar Infantil, Onda Juvenil 1600, la oración de medio dia. Nothing mentioned about these shows at all...